Copyright © All rights reserved. Developed by Etienne de Jager. Version 7/2017
.
CaboNed EcoTourism

Click for Sal, Cape Verde Forecast


Home pagina CaboNed EcoTourism op Flickr.com CaboNed. Info Cape Verde. Hiking. Daytrips. Photosafari's. Contact.
The old Ribeira Grande, founded in 1462, it was the first capital of Cape Verde and the first Portuguese city outside Europe. It was the node in the slave trade between Europe, Africa and America and it was an area of experimentation with crops and annimals. It was “mandatory” point of passage for explorers as Cristobal Columbus, Vasca da Gama, Pedro Alvares Cabral and others.

Praia in 1770 was officially the capital of Cape Verde. The “plateau” located Centre of Praia was easier to defend than the low-lying Ribeira Grande (Cidade Velha)
The Monastery of São Francisco was built in the mid seventeenth century (from 1640), and served as a place of worship and teaching.The monastery was attacked and partially destroyed by pirates in 1712. The ruins clearly show how sturdy the construction of this monastery was!
The construction of the “Sé” Cathedral began in 1555, in an excellent location, just steps from the ocean. The construction ended in 1693.
In 1712 the Cathedral was attacked by pirates and was completely destroyed. The ruins show the extent of the cathedral very well.
Another historical monument that visitors can see is the in 1520 built “Pelourinho” (pillory), in the center of the square. Here the slaves were traded. It is the most vivid memory of the slave era in Cape Verde.

The Pelourinho is now the lively centre of Cidade Velha.
“Forte Real de São Filipe”
The fortress dominates Cidade Velha from a height of 120 meters. It was built in 1590 to defend the Portuguese colony against attacks by pirates, the French and the British.

The construction of this fort was decided after an attack by the illustrious pirate "Drake" in 1585.
“Rua de Banana” (Banana Street) leads to the Church and was the first form of urbanisation in the tropics. Cidade Velha stands today on the World Heritage list of Unesco. Since 1990, restoration work of several monuments in Cidade Velha has commenced.
“Nossa Senhora do Rosário”
Located in the old town is the oldest colonial church in the world, built in 1495, the church of “Our lady of the Rosary” ( “Nossa Senhora do Rosário”) is built in Portuguese Gothic style. Nowadays the church has important historical heritage.
“Nossa Senhora do Rosário” “Nossa Senhora do Rosário” "Rua de Banana" "Rua de Banana"
“Nossa Senhora do Rosário”
Rua de Banana
“Forte Real de São Filipe”
“Pelourinho”
“Sé” kathedraal
“Sé” Cathedral
Het klooster van San Francisco

The Monastery of São Francisco

“Forte Real de São Filipe” “Forte Real de São Filipe”, zicht op Ribeira grande. “Pelourinho” Plein rondom “Pelourinho” De kade van Cidade Velha met op de schtergrond de ruines van “Sé” kathedraal Het klooster van San Francisco